What Is Meant By Special Care Needs for Alzheimer's Patients?
If you would like to print it out in plain text, click HERE
* Memory Loss: she may have a urinary tract infection, but because of forgetfulness she may not drink enough water or fluids.
* SPECIAL CARE NEEDS: offer water to drink, reminders, and possible hands on help, to drink fluids.
* Disorientation to Time: a person may be wake and may pace or wander during the night.
* SPECIAL CARE NEEDS: supervision and reassurance when she wakes, exercise and structured activities during the day and at night, medication monitoring.
* Disorientation to Place: she may not be able to find her room.
*SPECIAL CARE NEEDS: staff reassurance, wayfind [signs, arrows, or other environmental methods], assistance, and cues [verbal prompts or signals, etc.], to help with direction, personal items she may identify.
* Impairment of Judgment: control of impulses, such as sexually inappropriate remarks.
* SPECIAL CARE NEEDS: reassurance, opportunities to talk with trained staff, distract and divert attention, a structured activity program and privacy.
* Language Impairment: she may not be able to communicate her need to use the toilet.
*SPECIAL CARE NEEDS: a toileting schedule with assistance from staff, offer fluids to drink, attention to non-verbal communications.
* Decline in capabilities and routine activities of daily living: she may lose the ability to use utensils and or eat a normal diet.
*SPECIAL CARE NEEDS: monitor weight, determination of nutritional needs and food likes and dislikes, provision of finger foods and the best dining setting to encourage eating in an enjoyable atmosphere.
* Change in expression of feelings: she was a very mild person, but now she has developed the habit of speaking in a loud angry voice.
*SPECIAL CARE NEEDS: assistance by an inter disciplinary care planning team [doctor, nurses, social workers, activities and nursing assistants and family] to determine if there is pain or other causes of her behavior.
* Think Disturbances: she seems to think that people are stealing her things
* SPECIAL CARE NEEDS: assistance from her family and staff to identify her personal belongings, and reassure her about them. Activities that will interest her and be pleasurable.
Stephaine Frankile @ copyright 1992
Hope our logo helps you find your way back to us.
Back to Nursing Index