If you would like to print it out in plain text, click HERE
* Serve one course at a time
* Serve beverages last, temper hot beverages
* Consider serving more finger foods
* Remove all condiments from the table
* Consider unbreakable dinnerware
* Serve bit-size pieces of food
* Large bibs and drop cloths help
* Monitor intake while eating and guard against choking.
* Serve low calorie snacks to those patients who insist on eating all day.
When Assisting Patient while eating:
* Use verbal cues to open mouth and swallow
* Watch for signs of swallowing on the throat
* Insure a clean mouth before the next bite
* Offer small sips of water between mouthfuls
* Feed at a speed comfortable with the patient
By Kathrine Martin ACSW
(c) copyright 1992
Hope our logo helps you find your way back to us.
Back to Nursing Index