If you would like to print it out in plain text, click HERE
1. Analyze the situation:
When and where did the wandering begin?
What was happening around the patient?
What was the patient doing immediately prior to the wandering?
2. Engage the following interventions as necessary:
Door locks and or alarms
Remove or substitute key to the house or car
3. Follow environmental safety guidelines:
Decorate to hide doors
Get rid of visual obstacles
4. Increase patients physical activity and exercise:
Wear comfortable dress and footwear
Monitor nutritional intake
Possibly increase companionship and opportunities to socialize
5. Psychological intervention:
Reality orientation to surroundings and people
6. Preventing wandering as a management strategy:
Simple, routine, familiar routines
Samuel Lawson Ph.D. (c) copyright 1997
Hope our logo helps you find your way back to us.
Back to Nursing Index