Staff Stress Measure Dementia Care
If you would like to print it out in plain text, click HERE
Here is a simple test to help prevent staff burn out. All statements below reflect feelings and beliefs that apply to staff who work with residents having Alzheimer's disease or a similar dementia.
To take this test: each staff member fills in the following statements using an Often Sometimes or Never; as it applies to their thoughts and beliefs.
This test can be done on a regular basis with recommended staff meetings and one on one conferences; as it is warrented.
1. Their forgetfulness really gets on my nerves. __________________
2. I believe these residents should do more for themselves. __________________
3. I am afraid these residents will get violent and hurt me. __________________
4. I get tired of repeating things to them so much. __________________
5. The families just don't appreciate what we do for their loved one. __________________
6. Their babbling and rambling gets on my nerves. __________________
7. It's very hard for me to communicate with these residents. __________________
8. I get mad when they deny problems and blame others for things. __________________
9. I really get tired of working with these residents. __________________
10. It's hard to accept what is happening to these people. __________________
11. I get frustrated and angry working with these people. __________________
12. I think the use of more medication would make my job easier. __________________
13. I have trouble talking to their families. __________________
14. I take my work home with me. __________________
15. I feel these residents should appreciate our help more. __________________
16. I feel it takes to long to do things for them. __________________
17. It bothers me how helpless these people become. __________________
18. I believe we should have more training to work with them. __________________
19. It's difficult to explain their behavior to other residents or families. __________________
Karen Olive and Amanada Harper (c) copyright 1996
Hope our logo helps you find your way back to us.
Back to Nursing Index