HELP SHEET 10.
Early Dementia "All dressed and ready....with no where to go"
* Wears clothes appropriately
* Wears "trappings" [jewelry, make-up, carries purse etc.]
* Wears supportive appliances [hearing-aides, false teeth glasses]
* Relatively good speech/able to communicate somewhat
* Relatively good social skills * Immediate memory relatively good
* No noticeable change in posture or gait
Normal Behavior at this stage:
* Believes still has responsibilities
* Doesn't believe needs assistance
* Perception of reality based upon MISPERCEPTIONS
* Wandering pattern: exit seekers, runaways
* Loses train of thought
* Suffers: delusions, suspiciousness, and anxiety related to memory loss
* May suffer sleep disturbances
* Has own insights into "situations"
* May experience relocation trauma
* Transition into stage 6 is often difficult [brain is already 50% destroyed by Alzheimer's]
* In late 5, families may see paranoia or fear of being left alone
1991 Geriatric Resources
Click HERE to go back